When someone is faced with needing an orthotic device, he or she may not always know what to expect. It is reassuring to know there is a place you can go to get answers about your condition, have a complete physical & biomechanical assessment performed and have the chance to review your treatment options. Welcome to ProMotion Orthotics! There is no fee for these initial appointments. We believe in educating the public about the differences our services can make in the lives of those who may require orthotic care.
These initial complimentary assessments not only help patients with new or existing conditions, but also tend to help parents and family members understand specific orthotic needs and challenges. During the assessment the following areas are addressed:
- Medical History
- Physical Condition
- Static Alignment
- Relevant Clinical Tests
- Dynamic Analysis (this may include Observational Gait Analysis, EMG signal analysis using Upper Limb Prosthetic Software and Hardware or Video Analysis)
The assessment is typically completed with a discussion between the clinician and patient/guardian that results in an orthotic treatment plan. We feel it is very important to involve the patient in the decisions regarding their treatment and the type of device we will design. Furthermore, it is a fluid and dynamic process that can evolve as challenges arise along the way. We strive to be flexible within the treatment plan agreed upon and we ultimately aim for complete patient satisfaction.
Although it is not necessary to have a referral to meet with a Certified Orthotist, in order to pursue orthotic treatment, you will require a prescription. This can usually be obtained from your family doctor, nurse practitioner and/or your treatment specialist.
Eligible Orthotic Treatments (Custom Orthotic Devices) are 75% paid for by the Assistive Devices Program (ADP), a branch of The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (up to a maximum contribution). The remaining 25% is the responsibility of the patient however many patients have work/private health insurance plans which may cover that remaining 25% patient portion. After an assessment we are more than happy to provide you with a quote in order to see if you qualify for these predetermined benefits.
Please review the list of Agencies that we work with who may be able to help with funding:
- Workers Safety Insurance Board (WSIB)
- Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA)
- Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) – Department of Indian Affairs
- Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
- Ontario Works (OW)
- Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD)
- War Amps of Canada
- Champs Program
- March of Dimes
- Easter Seals
The costs for orthoses are fixed by The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and are based on material and labour costs.
Clients and/or their parents (in the case of a youth) who are receiving support through the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) will be eligible for 100% funding collectively via ADP and ODSP or ACSD.
Orthoses used for sports-related injuries, or non-chronic conditions are not covered under this program. Please note that OHIP does not cover any foot orthotic devices.
The Ministry of Health and Long Term care – Assistive Devices Program (ADP) http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/adp/default.aspx
The Canadian Association of Prosthetics and Orthotics (CAPO) http://www.opcanada.ca/
The Canadian Board for Certification of Prosthetists & Orthotists www.cbcpo.ca
International Society of Prosthetics & Orthotics (ISPO) Canada http://www.ispo.ca/
Easter Seals www.easterseals.org
Non Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fniah-spnia/nihb-ssna/index-eng.php
Work Safety (WSIB) www.wsib.on.ca
Blue Cross http://www.bluecross.ca